1. Film at Lincoln Center defines a short film as any film with a running time of 40 minutes or less.
2. All films submitted to NYFF must be New York premieres. “Premiere” is defined as any film having not screened for the public in the greater New York area, or having received a run in a festival operating within New York state.
3. Films that have shown theatrically in New York or been broadcast on television prior to NYFF or are available on DVD or VOD will be deemed ineligible.
4. Films that have had private, unpublicized screenings are eligible for submission to NYFF.
5. Films that have been previously submitted to NYFF are ineligible.
6. Films must have been completed in the current or previous year (2019, 2020). Films publicly exhibited before the 2019 edition of NYFF (September 27, 2019) are ineligible.
7. All applicants must complete the official festival submission form located on FilmFreeway.
8. NYFF reserves the right to disqualify any film not submitted through these websites without refund of any application fees.
9. The applicant holds the sole responsibility of copyright clearance of any copyrighted material in the film. Films including unauthorized copyrighted material are ineligible.
10. Films not in English must be subtitled in English unless dialogue is minimal and not necessary for the comprehension of the Film.
1. Films submitted by mail will not be returned.
2. Multiple versions of the same film will not be considered. Only the first submitted version of a film will be considered for NYFF.
3. If the submitted film does not play, NYFF staff will make an attempt to contact the applicant based on the contact information supplied at the time of submission in order to obtain a replacement. If a replacement is not available, NYFF reserves the right to disqualify the film without refunding the submission fees.
4. NYFF will attempt, but is under no obligation, to view a submission that arrives after the designated deadline without refund of the submission fee.
5. Submitted films that qualify based on the regulations and eligibility requirements stated here will be seen by NYFF programming staff and be considered equally with all other submissions.
7. NYFF reserves the right to disqualify any film for non-payment of the submission fee. NYFF will attempt to contact the applicant based on the contact information supplied at the time of submission in order to resolve non-payment status.
8. Applicants acknowledge that NYFF reserves the right to change the nature of screenings and events due to circumstances related to public health and welfare or at the direction of local, state, or federal authorities. In such cases no submission refunds shall be issued.
9. NYFF is under no obligation to provide comments regarding submitted films to any applicant. The festival is not responsible for any internal comments obtained by the applicant regarding their film.