2. Film submissions
We accept submissions of:
• Documentary films
• Experimental films
• Animation films or hybrid projects
• Different TV and film formats based on reality
• Virtual reality projects
• Documentary and educational computer games
• Interactive web documentary projects
Each submitted film has to comply with the following conditions:
• Properly completed form and timely updates in case of any changes.
• Payment of 20 € as a submission fee.
• Providing online or DVD previews. In the case of failure to provide a film preview, the submission will be considered invalid.
• Films produced in Eastern and Central Europe are also automatically submitted to the East Silver Market.
Film submission deadline:
• March 31, 2020 (films completed in 2019)
• May 31, 2020 (films completed in 2020 and released by May 31, 2020)
• July 31, 2020 (rough cuts and films that have not yet had a festival world premiere) Despite our deadlines, we would kindly ask you to submit your films throughout the whole period starting on February 17, 2020.
2.1. Entry fees Film submissions are subject to a submission fee of 20 €. Each film has to be submitted separately and the submission is not considered valid until the payment of the submission fee is made.
2.2 Acceptable submission formats
• If the preview of your entire film is available online, please provide the internet address and the password to access your film in the submission form.
• We do not accept film transfers from storage or hosting services (downloadable links). • Previews of films that are not in English, or in Czech or Slovak should be fitted with English subtitles.
• The online preview has to be available without limitation until September 30, 2020. If you change the link or the password, you need to inform us without delay at email@example.com.
If you cannot provide an online preview, please send your film on a DVD and include its title, running time, author(s) and contact information to: Juraj Machálek Ji.hlava IDFF Vodičkova 36 110 00 Prague (Due to a large number of submissions, we are not able to return the preview DVDs.) Ji.hlava IDFF shall not be held liable in case the preview is not delivered. If you have any questions regarding film submissions, please contact Juraj Machálek firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on +420 775 864 828.
programme selection process
3.1. Films selected for the programme
• Films are selected for the programme by the programme board in collaboration with curators of individual thematic sections and external programmers.
• Festival and the Programme Board reserve the right to chose the section in which the film is to be included.
• If the film has been selected for the festival programme, the Submitter will be notified latest by September 30, 2020.
• If the film has not been selected for the festival programme, the Submitter will be notified latest by September 30, 2020.
• The programme board shall not be obliged to justify their decision or to provide feedback on the submitted films.
3.2. Programme sections – competition
Opus Bonum – international competition section for medium and feature-length documentary films from all around the world
First Lights – international competition section for feature documentary debut films
Between the Seas – competition for the best Central and Eastern European feature-length films
Between the Seas – student films – art school students’ competition of documentary films from Central and Eastern Europe
Czech Joy – competition of documentary films from Czech production or co-production
Fascinations – international competition for the best experimental film under 30 minutes
Fascinations – Exprmntl.cz – competition of experimental films from Czech production or co-production
Short Joy – international competition for short documentary films
Testimonies – on politics, nature and knowledge
– international competition for the best documentary: films with political and historical implications, ecology and environmental issues and pushing the boundaries of scientific documentary
3.3 Categorisation based on running time
Submitted films are categorised as follows:
• Short – films under 30 minutes of running time
• Medium-length – films with 30 to 60 minutes of running time
• Feature-length – films over 60 minutes of running time
3.4. Festival premiere status
World, international or European premiere is a condition for screenings in the following sections:
• Opus Bonum
• First Lights
• Between the Seas
• Short Joy
National premiere is a condition for screenings in the following sections:
• Czech Joy
• Fascinations – Exprmntl.cz
• Special Event
The Submitter shall be obliged to provide up-to-date and accurate information about the premiere status of the submitted film. Please inform us if the premiere status of your film changes following its submission to Ji.hlava IDFF. In exceptional cases, the Programme Board reserves the right to present the film without a premiere in the festival’s non-competition sections.
3.5. Confirming festival participation
Having been officially notified that the film was selected for the programme, the Submitter undertakes to make the film available for the festival screening. Following this agreement, the film cannot be withdrawn from the festival programme.
3.6. Festival screening times
The Programme Board reserves the right to decide on the screening times and number of screenings of each film title.
4. Additional materials
4.1. Screening copy Ji.hlava IDFF enables screenings of the following formats: DCP, 35 mm, 16 mm, video file, Blu-ray, Beta SP or digibeta.
4.1.1. Hardcoded subtitles All films, the primary language of which is not English, has to have hardcoded English subtitles.
4.1.2. Shipping requirements
• The screening copy of the film must be delivered to the address of our office no later than by October 10, 2020, unless agreed otherwise. If the copy is not supplied in time, the Ji.hlava IDFF shall not be responsible for the technical quality of the screening and its smooth completion.
• The Ji.hlava IDFF covers the costs of a one-way shipment of the film copy only, unless agreed otherwise.
• Festival assumes the responsibility to arrange the insurance of the copy from its arrival in the office to its subsequent dispatch after the end of the festival.
• Promotional leaflets, posters, etc. are welcomed. If you plan to visit the festival, please bring the promotional materials with you. We will inform you on the spot where to place the materials. If you do not visit the festival, the materials will be distributed to the extent possible.
• All copies will be returned to the owner (or another party as agreed) no later than by December 1, 2020.
• In case of any damage to your copy, inform the festival no later than by December 31, 2020.
• When shipping the film copies from countries outside the EU, please provide a pro-forma invoice and do not estimate the value to be over 10 USD. Please attach the following specification to the parcel: “No commercial value, for cultural purposes only”.
4.3. Accompanying materials Films selected for the programme have to be accompanied with materials as specified by the festival to be available for use during and after the festival.
For the purposes of promoting the film in media and during the festival, please provide a one-minute clip from the film in HD quality. In case the film clip is not available, we reserve the right to select a sequence of our choice.
Directly for the purposes of the festival and other presentation, for instance on social media, an official trailer is required. Trailer has to contain information about the film inclusion at the festival and the official logo of the Ji.hlava IDFF selection. The logo is available here.
It is agreed that films selected for the competition programme will be included in the video library of the festival and the Center for Documentary Film. For the above-mentioned purposes, the video file sent has to have the following specifications:
• File type .mp .mp4, codec h.264
• Resolution at least 720p (1280x720px)
• Data speed of 1.5Mb to 3 Mb/s
• Audio parameters – AAC, 48KHz, stereo, 160kbps
Each film selected for the festival programme has to be accompanied with a dialogue sheet necessary for the purposes of translation and adding subtitles, or simultaneous translation during the screening.
Photos and official poster
At least three photos of 10 MB and an official poster in a digital format have to be provided together with Ji.hlava IDFF 2020 the film. In case photos are not provided, we reserve the right to use screenshots from the film preview.
5. Festival video library, video library of the Center for Documentary Film
5. 1. Festival industry video library
The Ji.hlava IDFF reserves the right to use the films that are included in the festival programme as part of the festival industry video library reserved to film professionals visiting the festival. This library will continue to be available for three months.
5.2. Video library of the Center for Documentary Film
All film submissions agree to the possible offline use in the video library of the Center for Documentary Film. The Center for Documentary Film (CDF) operates a small video library for the public in Jihlava and students interested in documentary cinema. It is an entitled non-commercial project aimed at the local audience. Films free of charge only in their offline version in the CDF library.