REGULATIONS FOR THE 63th INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF DOCUMENTARY AND SHORT FILM OF BILBAO
OFFICIAL SECTION-SHORT FILM INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
1. The International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao – ZINEBI is an international cinema event of a competitive nature recognized by FIAPF, the International Federation of Film Producers Associations, and organized according to FIAPF regulations and the regulations of the Festival. The Festival presents competitions (International Short Films, and International First Feature Films -ZIFF-) and curated programmes.
2. The 63rd International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao – ZINEBI will be held in Bilbao, 12 – 19 November 2021.
3. Organizer of the Festival is the Bilbao City Council, in cooperation with the Regional Council of Biscay (Bizkaiko Foru Aldundia - Diputación Foral de Bizkaia), the Basque Government Department of Culture, and the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports (through the Spanish Cinema and Audiovisual Arts Institute - ICAA).
4. The International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao – ZINEBI accepts fiction, documentary and animation feature film submissions for Official Selection – ZIFF – ZINEBI First Film International Competition. Only films directed by debutant filmmakers will be accepted. Films must be entered by their producers or their legal representatives.
5. Productions entering this competition must have been completed after 1 January 2021 and must be submitted via Festhome platform (www.festhome.com) no later than 12 September 2021 (date of receipt). Submissions must include the official entry form of the Festival, and the information the production company may consider necessary. All documents must be in Basque, Spanish or english.
6. Admitted works will have a running time of more than 60 minutes.
7. Only first feature films are eligible that have not been shown at any Spanish festival before ZINEBI.
8. First feature films that were previously shown at the International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao – ZINEBI, or films previously rejected cannot be submitted again.
9. Films with spoken languages other than english must be submitted with english subtitles. Films that are unreadable or damaged preview files will not be considered for selection. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the preview file is in full working order.
10. All the submitted first feature films will be watched by the Selection Committee in order to be admitted by the Festival. The Selection Committee will be appointed by the Festival Management, and will advise in the selection of the films in competition. The direction of the Festival will be responsible for the final decision on the election of the first feature films.
11. The Festival reserves the right to release the feature films included in the Official Selection – ZIFF ZINEBI First Film International Competition in a geoblocked online platform for Spain, within a limited availability during the Festival, enabling restrictions in the days or number of screenings.
12. For their public showing, all the films shall be compulsory subtitled in english. Admitted screening format is non-encrypted DCP. Other digital formats should be considered upon request.
13. Screening materials will be checked and compiled on hard drives for screening purposes at the Festival venues.
14. The hard drives shall be stored in the Festival’s archives and they shall not be used for any other screening unless the proper authorization of the rights holders. The storage and safekeeping will be used in accordance with the contracts for film library voluntary deposits established by the International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF).
15. Film screening copies shall be sent to the following address: Festival Internacional de Cine Documental y Cortometraje de Bilbao – ZINEBI, Edificio Ensanche, Zabalgune Plaza 11, 1º, 48009 Bilbao (Spain).
16. The Festival insurance covering all screening copies takes effect at the moment the shipments are handed over to the Festival organizer by the transport Company and ends with the handing over to the respective carrier after the Festival.
17. Once the Festival is over, the screening copies will be returned to the address provided in the entry form. Inbound expenses shall be payable by participants, whilst outbound expenses will be covered by the Festival.
INTERNATIONAL JURY AND awards
18. The official awards are given by an International Jury appointed by the Festival Management. The three members of the Jury for ZIFF – ZINEBI First Film International Competition will be appointed by the Festival Management. The Secretary will be appointed by the Festival Management and will take part in deliberations, though with no vote.
19. The International Jury will lay down its own internal rules in accordance with the Festival Management. Its decision will be final, and in the list of awards, prizes may not be left void or be shared ex aequo.
20. The International Jury for ZIFF – ZINEBI First Film International Competition will award the ZIFF Grand Award (12,000€).
21. The ZIFF - Youth Jury Award (2,000€) will be awarded by a jury consisting of students coming from University and other educational institutions.
22. The awards money amount will be shared equally between the producer and the director of the bestowed film.
23. All awarded films at the International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao - ZINEBI will compulsory and explicitly include the received acknowledgement in every single poster, communication, publicity and credits from all the copies once the Festival is over, including communication in social networks and other multimedia formats.
24. prizes given at the 63rd International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao – ZINEBI shall be paid in 2021 with the tax reduction applicable on every single situation. For this purpose, and in order to avoid the double imposition, the payment shall be done after the winners had provided, by the 15 December 2021 at the latest, a tax certificate of residence issued by the proper authorities of their residence country.
25. These regulations are published in english, Basque and Spanish. In the event of a discrepancy, the Spanish-language version prevails.
26. The submission of any film to the International Festival of Documentary and Short Film of Bilbao – ZINEBI implies acceptance of the terms of these regulations, which will be construed and applied by the Festival Management, in compliance with the International Regulations of the FIAPF for festivals.
ZINEBI - INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF DOCUMENTARY AND SHORT FILM OF BILBAO
Zabalgune Plaza, 11 1go solairua
Bizkaia / Spain
+34 944 248 698